Sunday, February 7, 2010

Day 38 - Called to Love

Jesus replied, "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.  This is the first and greatest commandment.  And the second is like it:  Love your neighbor as yourself.  All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.  Matthew 22:37-40

You know what God reminded me of - how His love is unconditional.  No matter where I was at in life, no matter what wrongs I've committed or words I've said against Him, HE STILL LOVES ME!

There is nothing that I can do to have Him love me any more...there's nothing I can do to have Him love me any less.  That is HIS unconditional love towards me.

In the same manner, we are to love Him back - unconditionally.  It's not God and...It's just GOD!  I want to love Him with all my heart and my soul and my strength. 

He is also asking us to extend this same love - the love He gave to us unconditionally...the love that we are extending to Him - to others.  People have enough hate in their loves.  Isn't it time for God's people to do what we were created to do - love???

We easily show our love and affection to those close to us.  Sometimes, we even show God's love in practical ways to our neighbors and friends.  But, when was the last time you loved, expecting nothing in return?  I've had the opportunity to go to the New Orleans area 3 x's since the hurricanes hit.  Each time, I participated in various relief / rebuilding efforts.  I don't know how many times I would be sanding drywall or hammering a nail in a roofing shingle and have tears flowing down my cheeks.  This was my act of love for someone I didn't even know.  Every swipe of the sandpaper...every pound on the nail...an act of love.

This weekend, a great opportunity was given to the people of God in the Northeast - a record snowfall.  It was a great opportunity for the people of God to get off their duffs and show some practical love to their neighbors.  You know what I'm talking about - a shovel...some driveway...some sidewalk...

God is daring us to love on another without any returns, not expecing anything in return.  Today, I prayerfully resolve to make loving God priority #1 and loving people a daily habit!

No comments:

Post a Comment